Thursday, November 24, 2016

Mom with her brother, Eddie, and her parents, Rose and Max Buckwald in August, 1945




Both of my parents had brothers who were 9 years older than they were.

Both of them had sisters who died in early childhood. My mother's sister, who I think was named Evelyn (I am not sure that I remember correctly and there's no one left to ask) died of meningitis at the age of three. My father's sister, Gretl, died at the age of 5 in the great flu epidemic of 1918.

I always got a kick out of the fact that my father's siblings were named Hans and Gretl. Hans later changed his name to Joe, and dad changed his name from Rudolph to Ralph (a number of people, upon hearing this, have commented, "Rudolph to Ralph! You've got to be kidding!")

Dad also took on the middle initial M, because he like the look and sound of Ralph M. Warburg. If anyone asked what the M stood for, he said Manfred.

No comments:

Post a Comment